It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Ammo & Reloading Discussion

Looking for non magnetic ammo

Products and Reloading Tips

Looking for non magnetic ammo

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:56 am

well look what I found
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/24_101_126/products_id/1121

Not to bad a price either.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Looking for non magnetic ammo

Postby DrD562 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Do you know any places in So Cal where I can just go in and buy a box of this or soft point ammo (7.62x54R)?
Random avatar
DrD562
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:52 am

Where are you located? "A place to Shoot" in Saugus has there range boxed ammo they sell 15 rounds for 10.00. Also look for the Winchester brand ammo at Big 5 and other stores. The Winchester stuff is non magnetic. Otherwise just order a box and have it shipped it should only take a couple days.

Here are some brands to look for
Winchester
Seller Bellot
Silver Bear (I've never shot this stuff)

IF you had some reloading equipment I'd say to pull the bullets off your steel case stuff and replace them with soft point or FMJ bullets.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby DrD562 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm in Downey. I've heard of Silver Bear and Brown Bear, I see that they sell non magnetic and Soft point, respectively. I'll have a look at Big 5. I know I can shoot at LA Gun club:
http://www.thelosangelesgunclub.com/
as long as I shoot FMJ. I know they sell 7.62x54R. Burro Canyon will let us shoot steel and bi metal during the "wet season".

I don't have reloading equipment, but can steel case be used to reload? or should I just toss them after firing? Thanks in advance.
Random avatar
DrD562
Gunner
Gunner

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Hey DR562
No you cannot reload steel, BUT you can pull the bullets and put new ones on if you haven't fired them. It may not be cost effective because you'll need to still use your powder and bullets and the other issue is corrosive primers BUT it is an option when you have no other.

As to tossing the steel cases, I don't. They are kinda cool to keep around. You can use them to make snap caps out of too.

Glad to be of help.
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby DrD562 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Ok, thanks Mark.
Random avatar
DrD562
Gunner
Gunner

Postby Chenko » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:56 am

I'm bumping this because mine is ready to fire before i send it off too Teludyne. Angeles National Forest is the closest outdoor range to us and they are a non-magnetic range.

I am having a hell of a time finding non-magnetic in bulk. I would like to get it down to around 10 dollars per 20 rounds.

Any updates on good deals?

thank you much,

chenko
Chenko
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Chenko » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:07 pm

here we go. we bought every last box we could find of non-magnetic 54r at the Ontario Gun Show. we got 295 round that averages out to .60 cents each. we got a mixture of some sort of really old non-magnetic, yugo and then on of the regular reload vendors has some. still doesnt seem like much ammo. we will keep our eyes open at the Costa Mesa show.

chenko

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Chenko
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Even11 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:29 pm

I had a bunch of that 15rd boxed ammo a while back and it sure is nice shooting stuff. Real accurate, and fairly clean too! I don't know any background on it though.

Whats the deal with the non magnetic ammo? I have only ever heard of that on indoor ranges to prevent penetrating the backstop/wall/car in the parking lot. :lol:

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:02 am

Well at least here in SoCal they worry about the steel cores striking rocks and other objects at outdoor ranges and creating fires. Where I live fire is a big deal every year.

Indoor ranges are as you state most are afraid of backstop penetration or ricochet back to the firing line.

Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Next

Return to Ammo & Reloading Discussion