It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:52 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Ammo & Reloading Discussion

7.62x54r H4895 Charge Weight Question

Products and Reloading Tips

Re: 7.62x54r H4895 Charge Weight Question

Postby gandog56 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:00 pm

I just got a pound of Hodgdon BL-C(2) to try out for the first time. Got some boxer primed brass and 150 grain FMJBT's. Going to start at 53.0 grains.
Many people say I am paranoid because I have so many guns. If I have many guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?
gandog56
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 18 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Grindl » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:56 pm

Just spent several days at Ben Avery ; watching the Berger S.W. Nationals - High Power . F-class , F-Open , FTR , and got the chance to spend about a hour with a Hodgden's Rep discussing various powders for our re-loading needs .
His recommendation was H4895 for those who live in the warmer climates , over Varget . Their testing shows that a load developed for H4895 will remain more consistent , accuracy-wise , through a wider temperature spread . And that H4895 is a higher grade , Temp-stable mixture than Varget..And H4895 seems to be more readily available than Varget in many areas . At least in my area . It always seems to be on the shelf at most stores in the Phx. area .
The only caution expressed was to be careful about your "Beginning" load and even more careful in loading to the high side , as this mixture (H4895) will create pressure quickly , on the high end of the charge weight . If you check your load data , H4895 is pretty comparative to Varget , but it does have a slightly faster fps across the board , on equal loads .
Winter temperature range allows me to shoot Varget consistently here , but after what I've learned about H4895 this week , I can confidently say I will be developing a "Summer" load . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:26 am

Grindl wrote:Just spent several days at Ben Avery ; watching the Berger S.W. Nationals - High Power . F-class , F-Open , FTR , and got the chance to spend about a hour with a Hodgden's Rep discussing various powders for our re-loading needs .
His recommendation was H4895 for those who live in the warmer climates , over Varget . Their testing shows that a load developed for H4895 will remain more consistent , accuracy-wise , through a wider temperature spread . And that H4895 is a higher grade , Temp-stable mixture than Varget..And H4895 seems to be more readily available than Varget in many areas . At least in my area . It always seems to be on the shelf at most stores in the Phx. area .
The only caution expressed was to be careful about your "Beginning" load and even more careful in loading to the high side , as this mixture (H4895) will create pressure quickly , on the high end of the charge weight . If you check your load data , H4895 is pretty comparative to Varget , but it does have a slightly faster fps across the board , on equal loads .
Winter temperature range allows me to shoot Varget consistently here , but after what I've learned about H4895 this week , I can confidently say I will be developing a "Summer" load . :thumbup:

I've come to enjoy using this powder. It has proven to be very consistent for me in both seasons we have here in Texas ( summer and slightly colder summer :lol: .) I use it for both 7.62X54r and 7mm-08.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby Grindl » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Finally got a chance to load up some H-4895 , and it only took about 15 rounds to find the sweet-spot load for my girl , thanks to all the info you guys provided .

44gr.- H-4895
174gr.- SMK
OAL 3.005
BR-2 primer
Brass - S&B trimmed to 2.110
Target : 25yrd. NRA slow fire Pistol Target
No pressure signs

At 100 yards , this load shot two , three shot groups with all three rounds touching in the X-ring . Rifle is a stock barreled M-N cut at 26", w/a 4-port , MB&M Brake..
Kudos to everybody on this one . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Previous