It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:49 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Ammo & Reloading Discussion

Interest in a group buy for a .303 cal Cutting Edge MTH?

Products and Reloading Tips

Interest in a group buy for a .303 cal Cutting Edge MTH?

Postby atl5029 » Mon May 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi Everyone! New to the forum here, but long time mosin shooter. I know you guys in Cali are facing the beginning of the lead ban this year. I was wondering if there was any interest among the Mosin community for an all copper hunting/long range/match bullet for the 7.62x54R. For some time now I have been wanting to do a custom run of bullets for the mosin. Cutting Edge is a company in PA that makes all copper and brass bullets. Their MTH (match tactical hunting) is an awesome bullet that I reload in other calibers. They do custom orders, but it is a little bit cost prohibitive unless you do a group order. I was thinking about having them design a bullet based on their .308 cal, 180 grain MTH, but in .312 diameter instead of .308. Here's a link to that bullet:

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/ ... 08_180_MAX

If you are interested respond here. If we get a good handful of people we can have them turn out some bullets and maybe they will even make it a standard offering. I talked to them earlier about the project and they told me they charge a $250 engineering fee and you have to buy at least 250 bullets in the whole order. I figure with enough people we could split up the engineering fee until it was negligible.
Random avatar
atl5029

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: Interest in a group buy for a .303 cal Cutting Edge MTH?

Postby Grimstod » Mon May 04, 2015 7:00 pm

GS custom has already designed and produced these bullets. Go there. Their bullets are better anyway. I have some and they shoot amazing :crazy:
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby atl5029 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm

I do know about the GSC bullets and plan on trying them too. They're pretty expensive themselves at $86 for 50 bullets. I know the MTH would definitely be less expensive. How are the GSC bullets better than Cutting Edge?
Random avatar
atl5029

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Postby Grindl » Tue May 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Could you explain why .312 diameter was chosen ? Are you talking a design profile similar to a SMK , with a bit more total length? Most .308's have a short profile , and I'd like to see something closer to mil-surp match profile or longer . I don't live in "Commie-fornia", and interest would be based on weight,"Hit" power, and accuracy at longer ranges .
What about build-up in the barrel ? More so than a standard jacketed round ? Or is the next step Moly-coat ? Like to have some more detailed information on this potential project before jumping in...but you have my attention. :wave:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue May 05, 2015 5:49 pm

atl5029 wrote:I do know about the GSC bullets and plan on trying them too. They're pretty expensive themselves at $86 for 50 bullets. I know the MTH would definitely be less expensive. How are the GSC bullets better than Cutting Edge?

By the time you split up that engineering fee I doubt they will be cheaper. The GSC are great bullets. I won't say they are "better" than the cutting edge, but they certainly are not lagging behind either.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grimstod » Wed May 06, 2015 2:52 am

GSC has several advantages.

1. They are coated and gain between 100-200fps
2. They are not undersized like the cutting edge bullets.
3. You can have your GSC bullet cutto the exact sizekf you barrel. Many barrels are oversized. Like .314 some even .315
4. The 165gr GSC bullet is very accurate. Much more then CE bullets.
I also do not buy tye gass seam system. Like i said. There bullets are undersized with the exception of the gass seal ring. Makes for the posability you bullet can go donw the barrel really croocked.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Ammo & Reloading Discussion