It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:51 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Ammo & Reloading Discussion

.243 Winchester reloading suggestions

Products and Reloading Tips

.243 Winchester reloading suggestions

Postby jaysny87 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:23 pm

So i bought one of those Remington 700 SPS Varmint rifles today. I basically got it for cost and couldn't pass up the deal. Its chambered in .243 win. and i've never owned a rifle in this caliber before. Im already thinking about staging up to reload for it and was wondering if any of you gentlemen had any suggestions. The twist on the barrel is 1 in 9-1/8" so i was already considering using the Hornady 105gr A-Max. Anyways if anyone has any experience with this cartridge and has some wisdom to share im all ears.

here's the rifle by the way

its got a cheapo tasco scope sitting on it as a place holder until i get the funds together to top it off with something good.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Re: .243 Winchester reloading suggestions

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:45 am

I absolutely love my 243. It's low recoil and shoots lights out. Mine is the traditional 1:10 twist which limits me to 95 grain bullets but it shoots the 95 grain classic Hunter berger and Nosler ballistic tip both extremely well. About 1/2 MOA on both. The berger may shoot a tiny bit better. H4831SC is a great powder so is Varget. They are both temp stable. IMR 4064 is also good. I'm a little divided on the stability of 4064. One day when mine needs rebarrelled I'll put a 1:8 on her and try some of the 105-115 grain bullets. As always I think Lapua brass is the best but pricy also. Mine shoots great with ole winchester brass. If you have any specific questions postem um. I'll help what I can.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:05 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I get into it. I'm leaning towards the H4831 at this point for the temp stability factor. I know alot of guys like the aliant RL15 and RL17 powders. Do you have any experience with those?
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:30 am

I do not have any first hand experience with the reloader powders. I have avoided them because I hear a lot of people say they are not very temp stable. They say those powders do shoot great and they get some impressive groups but they get some pretty different velocities in different seasons and conditions. In my 243 it really doesn't matter what the weather or season is. She's right on all the time. That's with Varget. I haven't tested the 4831 at long range yet. Only 300 and closer. Varget is so hard to find right now.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:24 pm

the more i read on the subject the more mixed messages i see on whether or not the 105gr amax will stabilize in my twist rate. Some say it will others say not. And others say it will if you load hot (which doesn't sound like great advice). I don't like that kind of uncertainty. Its making me lean more towards the Berger 95gr. VLD. Its strange because the Berger website suggest using the 95gr VLD in a 9" twist and the 95gr classic hunter in a 10" twist.
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grimstod » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Most likely it will not stebelize those 105s. 100gr bullets will do fine.
Really you need at least a 1:8 to stabelize those.

Go to accurateshooter.com. They have tones of info on the 243
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:13 pm

jaysny87 wrote:the more i read on the subject the more mixed messages i see on whether or not the 105gr amax will stabilize in my twist rate. Some say it will others say not. And others say it will if you load hot (which doesn't sound like great advice). I don't like that kind of uncertainty. Its making me lean more towards the Berger 95gr. VLD. Its strange because the Berger website suggest using the 95gr VLD in a 9" twist and the 95gr classic hunter in a 10" twist.

I know a lot of people who have tried to shoot the 95 VLDs in their 1:9.25 twist barrels and they won't stabilize unless they are pretty hot. Stick with the 95 grain classic Hunter. It's BC is almost as high as the VLD and the hybrid design is super easy to tune a load. Plus it's a hunting bullet incase you decide to do more than just plink. My 1:10 barrel does great with the Classic Hunter but will not pull the VLDs into a consistent group.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Yea I've been playing around with the berger bullet stability calculator and it looks like your recommendation is right on the money. The classic hunter seems to be the best choice. The only other bullet that comes close to the B.C. of the berger and will still stabilize would be the Hornady 87gr Amax but the B.C. of the berger is better.
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grimstod » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:40 pm

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Grimstod wrote:http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/243win/

great link! thanks man. they have a lot of good info on that site.
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Next

Return to Ammo & Reloading Discussion