It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Ammo & Reloading Discussion

.243 Winchester reloading suggestions

Products and Reloading Tips

Re: .243 Winchester reloading suggestions

Postby jaysny87 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 pm

so i started working on a chart to try and narrow down my options. The 100gr Speer spitzer boat tail soft points are actually looking pretty attractive to me. Those and the berger 95gr classic hunters appear to be the best choices at this point.
i apologize for the bad quality of the picture but here is a chart with different inputs to aid in the process of elimination.

the only reason the H4831 is highlighted in yellow is because i would have to buy it and i already have a lot of H4895,
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:39 pm

Great chart. Although the 87 Vmax is a hunting bullet. And h4350 is a great .243 powder also. Temp stable and will give great velocities
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 360 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:20 pm

ShootnMathews wrote:Great chart. Although the 87 Vmax is a hunting bullet. And h4350 is a great .243 powder also. Temp stable and will give great velocities

Ah, duly noted. i didn't catch that mistake.
Yeah the powder section of the chart is mostly a spot for me to calculate whether or not im going to need to buy powder. It would be nice to use something i already have but im not fooling myself. right now i only have H4895 and about a pound of H380 along with some pistol powder.

also i added the 100gr hornady interbond to the chart. It has a B.C. of .405 and the calculation says it should have no problem stabilizing.

i still need to break in the barrel using factory ammo which will give me some empty brass to work with. after that the fun begins!
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Postby jaysny87 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:34 am

I decided that before i did any load development i was going to have to do some work to the rifle. These rifles come with a pretty terrible stock. I purchased a slightly better stock off ebay for $40. Its a hogue over molded stock. i know that doesn't seem like much of an upgrade but the price was right and they come pre-pillar bedded. The forend would still need to be stabilized in order for the barrel to be truly free floated.

I worked up a little piece from 3/4" diameter 316 stainless at the shop.

the holes and grooves are there for something the bedding compound can grip to.

i milled out the forend so the rod fits snugly and stippled the surface.

and i bedded the action to the stock

- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Postby jaysny87 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:09 am

i installed a SWFA SS 10X and with the for end stable and solid it was ready for the range.

i worked up 5 different loads in .5 grain increments with the highest being 42.0 grains. That was the highest suggested charge weight from the hodgdon website for the 100 grain bullets (Speer 100 gr. BTSP)

I decided i would do my development at 200 yards this time. I had shot the rifle with Hornady american whitetail 100 gr. interlock BTSP (the cheapest hornady factory load) and it was shooting sub MOA at 100 yards and felt i would get more info from a longer range. as well as a bench mark to meet or beat.

i actually experience some high pressure signs with my lightest loading of 40.0 gr. of H4831. i had flatend primers but that went away with the next loading. i had a feeling this might happen because the powder is a relatively slow burner and i have a 26" barrel.

anyways 42.0 grains was the winner of the accuracy race on this outing

5 shot group at 200 yards

as you can see i did have a flyer but that was all me.
i might be able to get it even tighter after using the fire formed brass and neck sizing. also i still have room to play with my over all length.
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Great work. Keep it up. It looks like you'll have a great deer load there. My dad and brother have killed many deer with a 243
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 360 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby jaysny87 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:31 pm

So I Was reading through a couple of reloading manuals and found a big discrepancy between the Hodgdon and Hornady suggestions.

Hodgdon suggest using a starting load of 39 grains of H4831 for a 100 grain bullet with a max load of 42 grains.

Hornady suggested a starting load of 42 grains and a max load of 45.5 grains of H4831 with a 100 gr. Bullet.

The Hornady book also states "slow burning powders used with long bullets behave differently when loaded with reduced charges. These these lighter charges may cause unexpectedly high pressure. on occasion primers are blown, bolt stick, or even stocks are splintered. These only occur with lower charges of slow burning propellant and we definitely do not recommend such use in the 243 Winchester."

This would explain why I was getting high pressure signs with my starting loads suggested by hodgdon. I'm glad I started a full grain above the recommendation of 39 gr.
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Previous

Return to Ammo & Reloading Discussion