It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:15 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Ammo & Reloading Discussion

"Yugo" Brass Cases

Products and Reloading Tips

"Yugo" Brass Cases

Postby Grindl » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:29 am

I recently purchased a bunch of Brass cases from a supplier ; and there was the usual mix of Win, PPU , and even a couple of Norma , but there was also ten cases w/a head-stamp of "nny". A little research told me they were Yugoslavian , and originally equipped with a Berdan primer . They've already been converted to Boxer primer pockets so I can reload them...They appear to be very nice cases , But..Yup , there's always a "But"

The questions are : Is this a good usable case to re-load , and is there anything specific to look for on these cases that might create a problem , beyond normal case inspection ? If anyone has any knowledge or experience with these cases , I'd appreciate hearing from you . Thanks .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 189 times
Kudos  Received: 115 times
Medals: 1
NRA Member (1)

Re: "Yugo" Brass Cases

Postby farmerboy78 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Nny makes boxer primed ammo! Does it have one or two holes in the primer pocket? One hole is boxer
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 92 times
Medals: 4
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:35 pm

I wondered about that , too . So I got out the trusty Opti-visor and you can clearly see what is left of two small holes on the outside edge of the center flash hole . It appears that someone "converted" these cases from Berdan to Boxer. Every one of these cases is nearly identical in that they have a single hole in the center ; ala a Boxer primer , but they also have the remains of two small holes on center-line , 180 apart , like a Berdan primer case .

This is what makes me think they were "converted" cases , and led me to ask about safety issues cause they look great otherwise.
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:35 pm

I would worry about reloading those... Berdan primers are a different od and the extra openings in the flash area may cause a rearward over pressure that could push the primer out and eject gases toward you
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 92 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Grindl » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:49 am

Makes good sense . Appreciate the input & it's not worth the risk of damaging the rifle . I'll file them in the "round" file. Thanks.
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:46 am

Could you post some photos? I'd like to see what they did. I agree it's not a good practice to reload converted Berdan brass, be safe, not sorry.

Seeya'
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 359 times
Kudos  Received: 340 times
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:02 am

I have Russian target ammunition from 1953 - 1959 - 1971. They are all brass cased. The 2 early ones came in tin boxes with soldered seams on the lid. The older brass "53" I've had lots of primer blowouts. I know from experience that the older brass is frailer then the newer. How old are the NNY cases? A word to the wise, PPU brass is cheap and should get you a good 5-6 loads to the case. Don't reload anything that is even close to questionable. I would be very careful with the Berdan to Boxer primer conversions. I've seen conversions with way to large of a flash port. I have a K&M flash hole drill that cuts the flash hole to an exact diameter from the inside. .090 in diameter isn't very large. Its part of precision reloading -- making all cases have the same size flash hole is just as important as trimming the case length.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/12651
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Sorry , Mark . I tossed them after reading Farmers response . If I come across any more ,I'll do pics and post it for you .

They immediately caught my attention because the primer hole just did not look "right" ; and it's a blessing to have a group of people to go to , that are knowledgeable and willing to freely share information on anything that anyone asks . :clap: :clap: :clap:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

NRA Member (1)

Return to Ammo & Reloading Discussion