It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Ammo & Reloading Discussion

weird issue with decapping pin

Products and Reloading Tips

weird issue with decapping pin

Postby Marauder 1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 pm

I was running some brass the other night and suddenly the decapping pin seemed to start grabbing the brass and crushing the necks. It actually ripped one clean off. I had lubed all the cases and made sure every thing was good. I replace the pin and the issue went away, the really weird part is I reinstalled the old pin and it was working fine again. I did notice a little wear on the expander part of the pin.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: weird issue with decapping pin

Postby jaysny87 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:37 am

That is weird. What brand of die was it? Perhaps the pin somehow became cocked in the die and was pinching the necks on the side of the die? Was the wear even around the pin or were there any burrs on it?
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Re: weird issue with decapping pin

Postby Grindl » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Had the same problem with my pin a few months ago , Mark . And a .556 pin , also . Couldn't see anything wrong with either of them . Even under a seven power Opti-visor . I stuck them in a Hardinge collet lathe and polished them with jewelers rouge .
Problem went away . Could have been very fine scratches holding build-up and grabbing brass .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Ammo & Reloading Discussion