It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

K&M Neck TURNING TOOL

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

K&M Neck TURNING TOOL

Postby Grindl » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:42 pm

After a lot of discussion on these pages regarding improving accuracy in our Mosin's ; I took the plunge , and purchased the K&M Neck Turning tool , basic kit .

The only one in stock had a .30cal arbor (.308) so I had to purchase the .311/.312 arbor from K&M , and chose to purchase a back-up cutter , to save on shipping costs later on .

Also ; since the shell-holder was a .308 , I purchased a #16 Lee auto-prime shell-holder ,for the K&M Lock Stud tool , and Trimmer cutter & Lock Stud from Titan Reloading ( LEE ). The Lee Lock Stud takes a different type shell-holder , available from Lee . There are several videos on you-tube that say the Lee Lock Stud works a little better than the K&M , so I thought , "Get the Lee also , as it isn't that costly , and I'll have it if I need it" . Let ya'll know which one I think works best . Both Lee items were only $8.63 + shipping .

****NOTE**** If you deal with Titan Reloading ; request a Mailer envelope to have your product shipped in . Cuts shipping costs in half . You have to pay full shipping when ordering , but they will refund you the difference a day or two later .

One more necessary item was the "Highly" recommended Imperial Sizing Die Wax . And I was all set to turn some necks down .

Step one , was to change the Arbor from .308 to .311 , and the instructions are easy to follow . The K&M cutter is very easy to adjust ; but be patient as you do this operation , as to not damage the cutter , while setting the arbor for cutting length .

I took twenty "Prepped" Winchester cases in excellent condition , and after setting the tool , ran 10 of them thru the process , and then loaded all cases with the same load of 52.5gr of A-4350 , and a OAL of 3.005 . Bullet was a 174gr SMK . Loads were last rounds shot , of 80 rounds at Ben Avery range the following morning . Temp was 86 degrees , and wind was 3mph , from S.E. ( my 4:00 from target )
Distance was 100 yards
Of the non-turned rounds ; the grouping was approx. five inches , and rounds were spread everywhere , with no consistency . The "turned" group shot seven rounds touching , with three flyers , one of which was operator error . Turning the neck is definitely worth the time , trouble , and expense , if you want to improve accuracy . And the K&M Neck turning Tool is a excellent product , I highly recommend .

Sorry for being so lengthy ; but there was a lot of info to cover on this subject .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: K&M Neck TURNING TOOL

Postby Grimstod » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:40 am

My groups also sank when I started neck turning. Not by that much but they were already tight. I found that spinning in slowly then spin out fast to get the smoothest cut.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: K&M Neck TURNING TOOL

Postby Grindl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks , Grim . I'll try turning them that way . My pet load is 53.2gr of A-4350 in a PPU case , and it gives me a solid 1-1.5 MOA at 100yds. I just randomly dropped the load down to 52.5 for the test , cause 53.2 was packing the Win case pretty full . Like ; to the bottom of the neck full . Now I'm going to have to start all over and develop a load for the Win and S&B cases , once the new build is done . :crazy: :crazy: :lol:

"The hurried-er I go , The behinder I get" Pennsylvania-Dutch proverb

Hey Grimstod ? Or anyone else who turns necks ? Do you think it would be beneficial to turn PPU cases , also ? The ones I've checked seem pretty uniform in thickness , at .011 .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 193 times
Kudos  Received: 124 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum