It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:23 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Creating Loads for the M28/30

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Creating Loads for the M28/30

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 am

OK guys, as you know I have a M28/30, since most off the shelf ammo is loaded with bullets .310 to .311 do you guys have any off the shelf M28/30 ammo? Or can I pull the bullets from some Privi and reload a .308 on top of that. I do have about 20 unfired Lapua cases to use, but does anyone have the ammo spec for case size etc?

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Creating Loads for the M28/30

Postby Shepard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Are your Lapua cases brand new? If there new they are way under size. Mine were 1.987 out of the box. Like I've written before -- the trim length in the Loadbook has 4 different numbers. You should measure the neck length of the chamber and trim the cases .015-.020 shorter then that measurement. Forget the book when it comes to case length. That way when you Long Load your rounds there will be more bullet in the neck. Remember to crimp, Devil Dog lost points and scored lower not crimping his rounds for the program he shoots in.
How do you resize the neck of a loaded or should I say primed case? Do you have a cut off expander pin? I tried pulling the bullet and putting a different bullet in the case and it was a grand failure. The bullet wouldn't seat. The case necks were to loose.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:20 am

Yeah Shep the Lapua brass is unfired, I have not measured it but will today. In regards to the brand new Privi stuff I was thinking of pulling the bullets decapping and resizing the stuff. But that might be more work and it might yield a limited result.

I guess I can't use once fired brass that has been resized for .308 using the Lee dies then correct?

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 am

Marauder 1 wrote:Yeah Shep the Lapua brass is unfired, I have not measured it but will today. In regards to the brand new Privi stuff I was thinking of pulling the bullets decapping and resizing the stuff. But that might be more work and it might yield a limited result.

I guess I can't use once fired brass and then resize it for .308 using the Lee dies then correct?

Seeya
Mark

Yes you can, I don't see any reason that you couldn't. I don't want this to sound rude -- but your 28/30 has had thousands of rounds shot thru it, --- its not like a fresh cut chamber with a modern reamer.
Your using a full resizing die so in theory they should fit any gun, the problem comes when folks try to put fired brass from one gun into another gun. Those could be puffed out to the point they won't chamber. My target guns have new barrels aka new chambers -- with only a few hundred rounds shot thru them. I have brass that is set aside for that particular gun. When I reload my Lapua brass the chambers are so tight that only the neck needs sizing. They don't touch the die till they hit the neck portion of the die.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 am

Hmmm in that case I might already have some .308 brass ready to roll. I've already got some nice .308 bullets to choose from then too. And no you weren't rude I do understand that this is a old war horse and who knows how many rounds have been sent down range from her.

Thanks
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Mike 56 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 am

I have three Mosin Nagants a 1948 M44, 1944 91/30 and a 1944 M39 all three shoot 308 bullets well. I have had no luck with .308 HPBT bullets. Hornady plan base lead tipped 165 GR .308 bullets shoot well in all three rifles with 44 GR of IMR 4064. I can't find any 4064 at this time so i have been working with R15 it shows promise. Another load that is working out well for me is Hornady 123 GR .310 bullets with 48 GR of RL15. Both of these bullets are short so i seat them so that they fill the case neck and i give them a light crimp with a LFCD. A quick way to measure the chamber throat is to measure the inside of a fired case neck. I use a .303 expander in my Lee dies for .310 bullets.

I thing i would like to add these loads shot well for me in my guns.
For me loading ammo and shooting these old guns is a labor of love for i am in no hurry. Start with starting loads and work up a grain at a time when i find a sweet spot i refine the load from there.
Random avatar
Mike 56

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum