It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Mosin neck sizing dies

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Mosin neck sizing dies

Postby Grimstod » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:47 pm

A friend and I would like to get a neck sizing dies for our mosins. I emailed both Forster and Redding tonight to ask them how much it would cost.
If your interested contact me soon! Or I will just get the two.

This is what the forester neck sing die looks like.

Here is the Redding neck sizing die.

If your new to this here is a page with explanations.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=36223
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Mosin neck sizing dies

Postby farmerboy78 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:24 pm

I have rcbs neck sizing dies
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grimstod » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:08 am

I did not know they made one for 7.62x54r do you know if it's set up for 308 or 311cal I know there regular set of full sizing dies for the Mosin are in 308 they will seat 311 but it will be tight and runout will not always be the best.
I have a set on order from cabbalas but it's been two months in the waiting.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby farmerboy78 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:05 am

When I bought my fl dies they were .311, and my neck sizing dies were .308... depending on which rifle I'm loading for I switch out the internals...but I'd look on the rcbs website to be sure...
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Grimstod » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Just to be clear this is for a bushing sizing die. The great thing about these is that they make your brass last longer then a typical die because they move the brass less. and they are much more customizable for your exact barrel and chamber to the 0.001th

and I got an email from Forster and they can't do one so its up to redding now. We will see what they say. They have done custom dies before and even have a price listing for them. Just would like to get more people involved to perhaps shave off the price a little.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby Shepard » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 pm

"Just to be clear this is for a bushing sizing die. The great thing about these is that they make your brass last longer then a typical die because they move the brass less. and they are much more customizable for your exact barrel and chamber to the 0.001th"

This is why I use a collet die. It moves the brass once onto a mandrel not an expander. I have a mandrel for .308 and .311.

I measured a few pieces of my brass and found a difference in the thickness of the neck. Lapua measured .011 and PPU .010 so you would have to get bushings according to what brass your loading or use only one kind of brass with a standard size or shave your brass to a standard thickness. I don't know much -- but I do know that moving the brass once to a desired size is best, that I do know.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:15 am

With a bushing die you size one piece of brass with a normal die. Seat a bullet in it and then measure the thickness of the neck with the bullet in place. Subtract .002" from that number and that is the size bushing you generally want. .003" can be used for a slightly tighter fit for bullets not far in the neck. This way the brass is only "worked" once. There is no expanding rod. The bushing compresses the neck and after spring back of he brass tension is where it should be for holding the bullet. Either a FL die or body die is still required every 3-4 loading to bump the shoulder back. But does extend brass life and ease of loading. No lube is needed for a bushing die saving on prep time and mess. Brass working is so little I notice very little stretch in brass and almost don't need to trim. But I always check. Lapua brass is 53 in length so it's never cut on my trimmer yet. I'll probably wear it out before it stretches that far. A collet die is nice too but bullets seldom measure what the say, ex. .311" or .308". Measure some and you'll see what I mean. Therefore using a 308 or 311 expander or mandrel your neck tension still may not be ideal. Measuring and buying the right bushing gets you the proper tension. I use lapua brass and has yet to find enough irregularities to require neck turning of the brass for even tension. Don't take this wrong, I'm not knocking one method or another. Just sharing what works for me.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby 0933 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:19 pm

I definitely see the merits, but I honestly don't worry about overworking my brass.

I've got an automated case annealler, and every fourth loading the brass gets annealed.

I'd be happy to anneal brass for members here... send me your your brass, I'll anneal it, and send it back. :thumbup:
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:16 pm

I think I'll take you up on that T. I have a bunch of 243 brass that needs annealed. It's all loaded right now though. I'll have to empty them up first. Which will be after season sometime. Probably early spring. If you really don't mind to do it I may send you a pile of brass. Got some Mosin food cases that will need it by then too. The 243 needs it bad. I just hate to burn it all up trying to torch it by hand. I guess for an automated one it wouldn't be hat much. Prob around 250 cases. Be a lot to do by hand though.

Again though, I'll contact you plenty far in advance to make sure you still don't mind and I'll pay you for your time and gas, and of course postage both ways.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)

Postby 0933 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 am

Anytime Jared! :thumbup: And that goes for the rest of you guys too. I've got wheels to do the .223 case head, and anthying based on that case... one for the 30-06/.308, and anything based of those calibers (i.e. MOST popular cartridges), one for the 7.62x54r/.45-70... one for the belted magnums (i.e. .300 win mag, the weatherby's, H&H magnums, etc.) and one for the WSM/WSSM line of cartridges (I'm pretty sure that one would work for the 6.5-.284). Anyway, I can pop out 1,000 in about 30 min. Sure makes brass last longer! ;)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)

Next

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum