It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:24 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Forster vs RCBS

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Forster vs RCBS

Postby Grimstod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:05 pm

I purchased both RCBS and Forster dies this week. Will give you a report on how they compare. For now here is a little about the latest generation of RCBS dies.

If you had bought these two years ago you would have received the same dies as seen here but with one appreciable difference. Today RCBS sends you two dif expander balls. The one already installed will be 310 cal and the one included in a small bag will be about .3065 cal and it is intended for those with 308 barrels shooting 308 bullets. Now if you read any reviews on RCBS dies from two years ago they would have told you to order and extra expander ball for the bigger 312 bullets in the mosin because all the loading manuals and dies were set up for the Finnish 308 mosins. But looks like RCBS is catching up with the times. Gone are the days that the only mosins on the market were 308 finns. The huge wave of Russian 312 (311) mosins is clearly something they have been keeping up with. We shall see if Forster is just as in tune with the times when that set of dies comes.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 286 times
Kudos  Received: 255 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Forster vs RCBS

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Sweet! Got you some dies I see. I am super anxious to see how some hand loads fly out of that awesome rig you got. I am confident she'll amaze us all with some finely tuned loads. Reloading is a rewarding and frustrating hobby. Feel free to post away with questions or contact me. I'll give all the help I can with my limited experience. I have only been loading for about 2 years. But I have learned a lot in 2 years from friends and asking around online. One thing I have learned reloading is, what is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. In other words on more than one occasion I've tried a load that shoots awesome out of one mans gun of the exact same model, make, and caliber as mine and it won't hit a bull in the rear. So take others "load" work as a grain of salt and work on your gun as it's own because all guns are different. That's the best 2 cents I can give. Oh, and Sierra Match King bullets seem to rule the reloading world in accuracy. I'll let you know later what one does to a deer. Gonna put a doe to bed with one before buck hunting with it.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Shepard » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:42 am

Very nice setup. Yes with the amount of non target rifles coming in to use [91/30 - m44 - t53] that use .311 or what ever they slug to --- theres a need to fill the gap. As everyone knows Mosin reloading was originally for the M28/76 - but now all Mosins can be made to shoot better by hand loading. Remember - all load data for a .308 load can be used for a .311 bullet. I use the same data for my SV @.311 that I use for Dark Warrior @ .308.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby gandog56 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Yeah, but the Lee expander ball is .308", although I just put in a Lee .303 Brit ball which sizes the brass to like .311". Cost you a whole $3 to do it.
Many people say I am paranoid because I have so many guns. If I have many guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?
gandog56
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 18 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Grimstod » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 pm

The Forster Die finally shipped. now I can do a comparison in about a week.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby Even11 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 pm

I just got the Lee dies myself, and there is a line in the instructions that tells about the extra expander ball from .303 British. I am not by them right now or I would put the part # here too. I will try to remember to add it later. Like Gany says though, its pretty cheap to add to the kit.

I went with the Lee dies myself because they were readily available and they have the shell holder and powder scoop included. Probably not a big deal to an experienced reloader but I am a newbie.

-Dane
Every snowflake is unique. There are uncountable grains of sand on the beach. Mosin-Nagants are like sandy snowflakes. You’ll never get all the ones you want.
Even11
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 74 times
Kudos  Received: 27 times
Medals: 3
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Postby Grimstod » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:46 pm

There is no harm in Lee dies. They work. Shep can prove that.

Once my Die gets here I will probably do a video comparison and post. I will compare Forster and RCBS cause that what I have.

From what I read in the reviews the Forster is the Bentley of dies.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:40 pm

My Mosin dies are Lee also. My Mosin is the first gun that I started hand loading for and the LEE dies were easy to get and complete like he said. Now the rest of my dies are RCBS or Redding. I am a firm believer in the Redding Bushing dies. One day I'll make or buy one for the Mosin.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grimstod » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:52 pm

It came. If size alone was a determinant of quality then we are looking at 2x performance. :lol:
Things I have already observed.
1 The case is much nicer and bigger. Holds the dies more securely too. Also has a hing built into the lid by contrast the RCBS case just folds the plastic and that will eventually where out none to soon.
2 Outside finish looks just as good.
3 The depriming rod for both are interchangeable. The forester depriming needle is much thinner and comes with a spare.
4 The expander ball in the sizing die has a better polish and is located farther up. This is better and I will explain that later. or you can read about it here.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=36197
5 The seating dies appears to be zero able. Neat little thing I did not expect.
6 I love the locking collars. They do a much better job then the simple bras allan screw the RCBS uses. This will prevent damage to the threads and it also means you don't have to back out the dies to tighten it. That means more precision on die depth. I am all for more precision any day.
7 There is only one expander ball included and it mikes at .3069
Perhaps this set is designed for 308 bullets. I have already emailed them to ask bout this. I would think that it doesn't matter with the seating die since the RCBS is compatible with both 311 and 308.
8 Polish on the inside of the sizing die was disappointingly a little less shiny then the RCBS.

RCBS full sizing die. Is a little smother inside.
The Forster is polished but not as smooth as the RCBS.
Aristotle
Grimstod

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Very nice. I like the redding ring also. The screw smashes a lead shot against the threads so it doesn't mess up the threads. Also keeps it from working loose.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Next

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum