It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:14 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Primer seating in Winchester vs PPU brass

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Re: Primer seating in Winchester vs PPU brass

Postby Bama49 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:I actually like the Hornaday .3105 174 grain. They shoot great!

Thanks
Mark

I hear you. I have had such a problem finding anything at all that I'm seriously considering getting a mold. Lately the only think I've come across is some Nosler 180 gr SP. I've looked all over for some lighter projectiles with no luck. If anyone knows of a source that is relatively steady, please clue me in. Went to a gun show yesterday in Raleigh, NC and actually saw an Archangel stock there! It almost blew my mind! That's the first one I've seen other than mine in person. Of course the guy didn't have any extra mag's with him but he said he had some I could order. Maybe next time. Thanks, talk to you all soon. Peace.
Bama49
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 1 time

Postby farmerboy78 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:51 pm

The Hornady do shoot well... you can find lapua bullets usually but they are expensive...I recently bought a tin of 182 f most target rounds from the Sportsmans guide... I pulled them to reload, saved the powder for a later date, and I am going to use the brass cases for some cast book it's that are 215 gr...
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm seriously considering getting a mold.  

The problem with that is you'll have to reduce your powder charge considerably. Lead bullets will not hold up above 1600 fps (depending on the hardness formula you use) I would say you'd also need a gas check on the back of the bullet.

That being said lead bullets shoot well once adjusted for, Dutch Mosin (one of our members) shoots leads all the time.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Previous

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum