It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:09 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Berdan repriming

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Berdan repriming

Postby Grimstod » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:11 pm

So This is something I have been working on for a long time. will do a video eventually. I made this tool tonight in the bitter cold of the negatives degrees. Used an old screwdriver and ground it down then used a dremel to cut a notch in it to preserve the anvil. Works great in my drill.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 297 times
Kudos  Received: 262 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Re: Berdan repriming

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:17 pm

I ve never used berdan primers. Did you just make a tool to clean he primer pockets? How do you deprime them? I've seen water used to create hydraulic pressure and pop them out.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to safely convert Berdan to Boxer for a couple of years. You can do it IF you use reduced loads but that's not what I'm after. There is a lot of great brass in Berdan just waiting to be reloaded. Nice tool Ben.

Funny you should mention this now, I've been working with someone right now who is developing a prototype decapping tool for Berdan primed brass. We think we've got it somewhat hammered out. He also has found a source for Berdan Primers we just need to get the costs to have them imported to the US.

The other major issue with Berdan primers is that seating them is very different than seating a boxer primer. Seat a Berdan to deep and it can go off because of the anvil that is in the center of the case. That will be the next hill to climb in this endeavor.

Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 pm

I built a water hydraulic decapper for Ben here a few weeks ago. He says when he uses a 3 pound hammer it works perfect. This style tool you put the case in fill with water insert brass piston and wack it with a hammer and the primer pops out the bottom. The case is never touched. He's doing a great job with his Berdan reloading. I can't wait to see his finished loads and his range reports.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 pm

ShootnMathews wrote:I ve never used berdan primers. Did you just make a tool to clean he primer pockets? How do you deprime them? I've seen water used to create hydraulic pressure and pop them out.

Those really only work if they brass does not have that sealant around the primer. I spent hours one night getting showered with water from one of those ebay hydraulic de-cappers. They simply cannot remove a sealed primer. Using a little lacquer thinner and a Qtip removed the sealer then you could get the decapper to work. I do suggest doing it outside because water goes everywhere.

Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Shepard wrote:I built a water hydraulic decapper for Ben here a few weeks ago. He says when he uses a 3 pound hammer it works perfect. This style tool you put the case in fill with water insert brass piston and wack it with a hammer and the primer pops out the bottom. The case is never touched. He's doing a great job with his Berdan reloading. I can't wait to see his finished loads and his range reports.

Is he using a plastic dead blow hammer? Brass is an interesting idea for the piston. The one I have is stainless and I do get some leakage around the piston as it stuck.

Great info thanks Shep
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:09 pm

The other major issue with Berdan primers is that seating them is very different than seating a boxer primer. Seat a Berdan to deep and it can go off because of the anvil that is in the center of the case. That will be the next hill to climb in this endeavor

Mark -- I was just over to Grafs and Sons and they have Berdan Large rifle primers 5000 for 168.99.
Shepard

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:10 pm

bredan decapper.JPG

This is like the type I have with the exception this one is a 30-06 type instead of mine which is 7.62x54r

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:
Shepard wrote:I built a water hydraulic decapper for Ben here a few weeks ago. He says when he uses a 3 pound hammer it works perfect. This style tool you put the case in fill with water insert brass piston and wack it with a hammer and the primer pops out the bottom. The case is never touched. He's doing a great job with his Berdan reloading. I can't wait to see his finished loads and his range reports.

Is he using a plastic dead blow hammer? Brass is an interesting idea for the piston. The one I have is stainless and I do get some leakage around the piston as it stuck.

Great info thanks Shep
Mark

Watch the youtube vid on the subject. Don't try to make it to perfect -- you sit with your stump table and your 5 gallon bucket of water and your 3 pound hammer. Put it together under the water -- pull it out set on stump and wack it. A little leakage is going to happen. Its not like your going to do this operation in the living room. There isn't to many metals that will last hitting it with a hammer -- so we'll be upgrading Bens plunger when he needs it.
Shepard

Postby Shepard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:
bredan decapper.JPG

This is like the type I have with the exception this one is a 30-06 type instead of mine which is 7.62x54r

Mark

Sorry Mark -- this was the idea we stayed away from because of the possibility of bulging the case or stretching the neck. Ours compresses the water directly to the primer and out the bottom and the whole case is submerged and is not touched by anything.
Shepard

Next

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum