It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:49 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Advanced Reloading Forum

Weighing Cases ? Is there a Relevance to Accuracy

Advanced Reloading Techniques for long range shooters and more

Weighing Cases ? Is there a Relevance to Accuracy

Postby Grindl » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:17 pm

Just got done reading a short article over at Accurateshooter.com ;
and Gary Wood had shot a very impressive group . In the article , Mr. Wood stated he took no extra care with his loading practices , beyond normal , and that he had weighed his cases , as normal , when loading these rounds . "Weighed his cases , as normal" ?

Why is there any relevance to the weight of the case ?

I comprehend weighing the bullet , powder , and checking for concentricity , but I see no relevance to weighing the case .
Could someone please explain this to me , that has a understanding of the "why" of it ?
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 195 times
Kudos  Received: 126 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: Weighing Cases ? Is there a Relevance to Accuracy

Postby bearrowland » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:27 pm

I've never heard of such a thing. I can't see where it would matter.
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby Grindl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:31 am

My thought also . I went back and re-read the end of the article , and the weights posted appeared to be the total of both case and powder load . Why it would have any relevance to accuracy makes no sense to me at all , but then who knows of the vagaries of B/R and L/R shooters . We do tend to be cut from a slightly different cloth . Just thought someone might have a explanation for doing it that way .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby jaysny87 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 am

From what i understand the weight of the case can reflect the internal case volume. More weight would indicate that the brass walls are thicker on that particular case which would indicate it has less volume capacity. powder burn rates would be ever so slightly affected because of this. There are better ways to measure the internal case capacity but weighing them is the fastest route. I dont do it and probably never will but bench rest is a game of consistency and they will do anything in there power to control the most insignificant variables so they can sleep at night. The perfect sport for those who suffer from OCD.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby bearrowland » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:05 pm

I can understand that then. Thanks!
Barry
Random avatar
bearrowland
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 106 times
Kudos  Received: 56 times
NRA Member (1) NRA Instructor (1)

Postby Shepard » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:01 am

ACCURACY = the repeating of any previous action. In shooting the perfect target -- everything has to be equal all the way around. Weigh all bullets too the tenth of a grain. Weigh all powder too a tenth of a grain. Prepare your brass in all ways to be as equal as possible. Any deviation "could" lead to a deviation in your POI decreasing your accuracy. I'm old school - I uniform the flash hole and length of the case.
I also use a modified Lee Collet die and size the neck only for brass shot out of the same rifle.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grimstod » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:32 am

Neck turning your brass is more rewarding then weight sorting. Weighting brass is rather low on the list of things that can help.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle
Grimstod

Kudos Given: 290 times
Kudos  Received: 258 times
Medals: 7
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Grindl » Wed May 11, 2016 1:32 am

Is the purpose of "Neck Turning" to have the round sit more concentric in the chamber when it is loaded into Battery , or to assist in equalizing pressure on the bullet when it is pressed into the case , or a combination of both factors ?
Or is it to allow equal expansion of the neck , within the chamber , to allow a uniform "release" of the bullet when complete combustion occurs ?

Logically ; It would seem that all of the above would be effected by Neck Turning , but I'm asking because I really don't know the correct answer . :?
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Grindl » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:33 pm

After some more research on this ; I've learned that the crucial factor in weighing cases is because these guys are shooting 6/6.5x47's and they are shoving a VLD back to their prescribed OAL . And case capacity to "match" their chosen load is critical .
According to Brian Litz ; noted ballistician , this is only a factor in loading when you are compressing your load , by loading to a shorter OAL with a long bullet in a modified case . The margin of error is reduced .

The negative of not weighing cases in this situation , is the case would not have proper capacity for that "normal" load , and could potentially over-pressure the chamber , or to spike the pressure , when fired .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Grindl wrote:Is the purpose of "Neck Turning" to have the round sit more concentric in the chamber when it is loaded into Battery , or to assist in equalizing pressure on the bullet when it is pressed into the case , or a combination of both factors ?
Or is it to allow equal expansion of the neck , within the chamber , to allow a uniform "release" of the bullet when complete combustion occurs ?

Logically ; It would seem that all of the above would be effected by Neck Turning , but I'm asking because I really don't know the correct answer . :?

The main purpose of neck turning is to uniform neck tension on the bullets. By uniformity neck tension each bullet has a better chance of exiting the brass at the same pressure inside the brass which helps keep a more consistent pressure down the barrel, resulting in a smaller spread in velocities and ultimately hopefully producing smaller groups. Especially at long range where only a few feet per second difference translates to inches.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Advanced Reloading Forum