It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:16 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Reloading Components & Equipment Forum

S & B LR Primers

Reloading components and gear for sale or trade

S & B LR Primers

Postby Grindl » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:21 pm

About six months ago , I found a "new" product on the shelf at my local Cabella's . They had a full five foot shelf , stacked with S&B primers in various sizes . Both pistol and rifle . But what caught my attention was they were only $19.00 per thousand , so I thought I'd give them a try . At worst ; they'd be cheap practice primers , and I could save my Russians for comp loads .

Turns out ; they are one of the highest rated primers in the world . Ranked third over-all , behind the better Russian primers at #1 , ( which are no longer available )and the Mag-Tech , (Brazilian) at #2 , and also hard to come by in some markets .

Highly esteemed British ammunitions Expert ; Laurie Holland of Target Shooter Magazine did extensive testing on nearly all major rifle primers available , and the data showed that S&B LR primers are one of the most consistent primers for ES / SD in the world .

I have since bought another 5,000 and they have become my go-to primer in all my competition loads . And I haven't had a single misfire , perforation , or failure to fire since I began using them . My new comp load for A-4350 , with a 185gr. Berger "Jug" has a ES of 8.6 and a SD of 4.8 to 5.2 ,and that was with temperature going from low 60's to mid 80's. And as I improve my competition loading practices , I have no doubt both those numbers will come down lower . I was pleasantly surprised with these primers , and I think you will like them , too .

The only down-side is they aren't $19.00 / per , anymore . Last checked , they were $27.95 per , but I'll keep buying them till the Russian primers re-appear . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 196 times
Kudos  Received: 141 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Return to Reloading Components & Equipment Forum