It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Reloading Components & Equipment Forum

Chronographs

Reloading components and gear for sale or trade

Chronographs

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:44 pm

I've been doing some research and it appears there are a couple decent chronographs on the market in the reasonable price range, one is the Chrony which comes in various flavors and prices. I like the Chrony alot but I notice that the accessories are really pricey. Namely the computer interface and software.

Then I found this brand Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph it's about the same price as the Chrony BUT it's software and USB interface only cost 49.00 verses the Chrony's 79.00 for software and interface, and IF you want to use USB it means you'll need an additional adapter.

I do like the fact the Chrony is metal, that is a big plus.

There is also the RCBS unit that is shaped for some reason like an artillery shell, perhaps someone was trying to be clever but most of the reviews I've seen of this unit don't like it.

Does anyone have experience with the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph unit? If I can save up the money perhaps I can get one for review.

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 346 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Re: Chronographs

Postby 0933 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 am

A chronograph is one thing that I need to buy... I usually just borrow a buddies when I need it.

One of the things to remember when buying a chrono, is that all of your 'special features' are mostly programing that allow the chronograph to 'crunch the numbers'. The SD, hgh and low, multiple shot memory, you can acheive with good note taking and a calculator.

The only thing you 'need' is an accurate chronogragh, and I would add, a remote screen... most ranges don't let you walk downrange after every round.

my $0.02.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 am

Well I don't know anyone that has a Chrono at the moment but I'm thinking if I show up at the range with one I'll be everyones friend ;)

I totally agree with the remote display, I do like this unit for the ability to hook it up to a laptop via USB. Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph

But I also like the Chrony Beta Master or Alpha Master, these can be fully upgraded to the Gamma series but it's a bit more expensive to do after the fact than to buy a full on Gamma in the first place.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:05 am

I have the Chrony Beta Master, remote readout. It works great and when I'm able to afford the printer I won't have to stop and write down the information anymore. It truly helps in load development.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 am

I just bought that same one Shep. The USB hookup looks really interesting as well. The best deal is to buy the one with the printer included. I think it's called the Gamma Master or something like that.

Seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 am

I was checking out the "USB" setup for the Beta Master. By the time you get the adapters and program -- your close to what the printer cost [102.00]. I see the programming does a lot more then the printer but if your math able you can get the same information.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Return to Reloading Components & Equipment Forum