It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Reloading Components & Equipment Forum

MTM Case Gard Fitment

Reloading components and gear for sale or trade

MTM Case Gard Fitment

Postby TheJoe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Recently tried to figure out which cases worked for 7.62x54R

I don't have a well equipped store nearby to buy these so I ordered few cases made by MTM that their site list as working for 54R. See their fitment chart here: http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/common/2013 ... -chart.pdf

From Left to Right...

H50-XL
RLLD-50
RMLD-50
RF22-SM
W-9-LM

Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Re: MTM Case Gard Cases Fitment

Postby jaysny87 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Good to know. None of the shops I go to have a very good selection of boxes either. A year or so ago I had bought some new Plano boxes that I don't really care for but it's better than recycling the plastic inserts from the factory cardboard boxes like I had always done in the past.
Thanks.
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.”
- Noah Webster
jaysny87
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 41 times
Kudos  Received: 42 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (2) NRA Member (1)

Postby kcwomack » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:20 pm

All of the website I visit only list the RLLD-50 or RLLD-100 as fitting the 7.62x54r. :?:
"When injustice becomes law then resistance becomes duty". Thomas Jefferson
kcwomack
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 11 times
Kudos  Received: 20 times

Postby farmerboy78 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:55 pm

Any case that will fit the 300 Wsm will fit the 7.62x54r
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 93 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby TheJoe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:05 pm

Check out the MTM link above and be prepared for a headache.

From right to left:

The H50-XL was kind of on the expensive side. It has a removable tray and it's got the carry handle on top. I'll probably order another one of these. As you can see from the pics the round sits quite a it higher in the box inside the tray. It's an odd setup inside with the tray, I don't quite get it, but overall it's a nice case and leaves about 3/4" in the top for a notepad or a piece of foam.

The RLLD-50 is very oversized. It's not so tall that the rounds fall out of the grid with the lid closed, but spent cases will fall out of the grid should it fall over. There's about an inch between the bullet tips and the top of the case.

RMLD-50 is appropriately sized but only measures about 3.15" top to bottom inside. There's about a 1/10" between the lid and a PPU 182 Match bullet tip. This box might not be tall enough for some reloads. This box also does not stack properly with the RLLD-50 above. One empty case inside will come out of it's hole with the lid shut, but if it was full I think they'd stay pretty well put if it tumbled over.

The RF22-SM is really nice, I know I'll be ordering a few more of these. The only drawback on this case is that it's larger than needs to be and has the largest holes at nearly .7". There's plenty of room for long seating lengths but it's not too tall.

Lastly the wallet. Like everything above it's made for big cartridges. You have to put the rounds in on the right side and they go in fairly loosely. You can then push them left and they tighten up. I could see the potential to damage a round that was seated long and/or not crimped getting these in and out.

Do make sure the above part numbers are present if you order any of these cases, there are a lot of similarly numbered cases that are very different.

Hopefully someone will find this info useful. I'll try and update as I'd like to order a 100 round box eventually.

If someone has cases that work well please post 'em!
Random avatar
TheJoe
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Return to Reloading Components & Equipment Forum