It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:11 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Collectors Forum

Historic Rifles And What Makes Them So

Mosin Nagant Purist and Collectors Area

Re: Historic Rifles And What Makes Them So

Postby Shepard » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:40 pm

If its a Finn I'd keep it original --- otherwise all Mosins are a good platform to use as a cheap beginning to an excellent shooting target gun. Some people like to collect things, I see no reason to build up someone else s pile of "collectible guns". When I kick the bucket my wife has no idea of the value of what I have built. Most wife's or partners will just deposes of unwanted or unusable items like guns because they don't understand, it was never there hobby. Also with 39 million Mosins built minus the 4 million Russian weapons that will get melted down -- there's enough of them to go around for a lot of years -- for the collectors and the builders. Anybody over 55 can meet Jesus at any moment it time -- I know -- I'll get buried in a gun case and take them back into the ground were we came from.

Do I have a bad attitude? :lol: :lol:
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:09 pm

well im kinda torn here, if it is in pristine shape or very rare I can see leaving it alone... the three I have been building were all barreled actions and not complete rifles, so it is what it is... but if you want to modify one, its your rifle and your money, so hey whatever makes you happy... :?:
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 95 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Marauder 1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Well if I may interject something here, IF your looking at modding anything, do some research first. Even if it's a barreled action it could have the potential to be worth a lot of money. Take the extra few minutes and check. That being said it is your rifle and you can do as you wish to it.

I hope my sons will continue the hobby after I go to be with the Lord (hope that's many years from now) and I plan on handing them each part of the collection. I have several very rare examples and knew that when I bought them. So those will remain as they are. But other than those it could be game on, for another build

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby Shepard » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Marauder 1 wrote:Well if I may interject something here, IF your looking at modding anything, do some research first. Even if it's a barreled action it could have the potential to be worth a lot of money. Take the extra few minutes and check. That being said it is your rifle and you can do as you wish to it.

I hope my sons will continue the hobby after I go to be with the Lord (hope that's many years from now) and I plan on handing them each part of the collection. I have several very rare examples and knew that when I bought them. So those will remain as they are. But other than those it could be game on, for another build

Seeya
Mark

I'm jealous -- you've got boys to past on your hobbies. God blessed me with girls.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby tdocz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:38 pm

I have a son and a daughter and I fully intend to pass on my collection to both. I have already organized which will go to whom. My daughter would have more likely to continue my hobbies than my son. Lol.
tdocz
Sniper
Sniper

Kudos Given: 12 times
Kudos  Received: 2 times

Postby 0933 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:24 am

I guess the original question is a little subjective... for me, I won't mod a Finn, a complete Bannerman or Blindee, a 'rare' model... i.e. M91/59, M38, Cossack or Dragoon, an antique, or most M91's or American M91's.

On the other hand I have absolutely NO qualms about modding guns already *****'d, or any 91/30... round or hex receiver.

You can talk as much trash on these 'cheap com-bloc WW1 rifles' but the MN design has ALOT going for it, and is a FAR SUPERIOR action IMHO than a Remington 700. The integral recoil lug negates the need for custom work in order to fit the receiver/recoil lug/barrel. The receiver is forged vs. machined adding strength. The bolt head is floating, negating the need to have the action 'blue printed' and the lugs lapped + raceways trued perpendicular to the receiver threads. The bolt is robust, and designed so the user can adjust firing pin protrusion... Why not use it for the base to build a custom rifle??
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos Given: 267 times
Kudos  Received: 300 times
Medals: 13
Custom Builders Guild (1) Master Builder Award (3) Zombie Shoot (1)
NRA Member (1) Haller Shoot Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)
1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1) Video Award (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby USSR » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 pm

As far as my standpoint goes I have a fairly reserved opinion. I built my rifle on my 42 ex sniper, probably not the right rifle to choose but I did it. 42-42 Izhevsks are just so darn common I dont see why that would be a bad choice to mod them.

On the other end I cannot bring myself to modify my Type 53 and cringe when I see Finns modified. I can appreciate a restored Mosin as well.
делать это в одном кадре
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper - "M9130A2" heavy barrel custom
1955. Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto project
1954.5 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - Resto 95% complete (Sold)
1942 Izhevsk 91/30 - Resto complete (Sold)
USSR
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 2 times
Kudos  Received: 22 times
Medals: 3
Custom Builders Guild (1) Dart Board Challenge (1) Video Award (1)

Postby farmerboy78 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one, was feeling like an outcast for modding my 42 sako barreled action... I just want to build a tactical mosin and wanted an accurate base to start with...hope I didn't offend too many...
Random avatar
farmerboy78
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 95 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) Nice Build Award (1) NRA Member (1)
Finnish Variant (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:00 am

Everyone has they own opinion and I will give mine. I prefer to see rare pieces and Finns stay original since they're not in high quantity. I also like to mod other people's mess ups or just common place Mosins. I get a great deal of joy out of taking a plain old inaccurate beat up piece of Russian rifle and turning it into a beautiful tack driving modern masterpiece. Having said that there are rifles I d like to see kept original, I always go with the fact that " it's your rifle, do what you want with it." If you want to mod it that's your choice. I would much rather see a rifle be modded and used than collect dust. Sitting in a box unsed and a lone is no life for a rifle to me. Personally, If I felt I wanted to mod a rifle and had a rare one I would prefer to sell it to someone who would take care of it and use the money to buy a common rifle and probably most of the modding parts.

Just my two cents. Don't want to offend anyone. Just my opinion, that's all.

So I pretty much completely agree with 0933. They make great custom rifles.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby gandog56 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:56 am

Now I lay me down to sleep -- under my pillow a Glock I keep. If I should wake and find you inside -- the corners van will be your next ride.

I HATE Glocks! They do not make one single model that fits or feels good in my small, short fingered hand. Great if they fit yours. By the way, should be coroner's there, not corners.
Many people say I am paranoid because I have so many guns. If I have many guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?
gandog56
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 18 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Mosin Nagant Collectors Forum