It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:20 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Front Porch

Anyone know what left these tracks?

Off topic discussions. Come and talk about anything here, pull up a chair and rest a spell

Re: Anyone know what left these tracks?

Postby ShootnMathews » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:37 pm

TJPike wrote:That is a heavy animal to make impressions in that gravel soil. In snow or mud dog tracks appear longer not so square as those. They are somewhat mysterious.

That is heavy red clay with rocks. The tracks were less than 8 hours old because it poured the rain that night and there was no water erosion of them. But now that you mention the soil type. That red clay and rock is so hard that we did not leave any tracks on it while walking next to the mystery tracks.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 274 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby TJPike » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 am

Good luck with those tracks.Let us know if you ever figure it out. Wouldn't hurt to keep a firearm handy.
Random avatar
TJPike
Marksman
Marksman

Kudos Given: 11 times
Kudos  Received: 4 times

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:43 pm

Have they been filming the new Twilight movie near you??? Looks like team Jacob's on the prowl again..

Hmmm size is about right..

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 pm

Lol. No filming at my farm that I know of. And I almost always have a firearm within arms reach. But in all seriousness I will elaborate on something I mentioned at the start of this thread. In 20 years I have only told one person this( and incredibly that was about 2 weeks before finding these track) for fear of being laughed at, but after some other things happening in the last few years I am becoming a little more open with things I have seen in these Appalachian mountains. When I was a teenager I was stalked through the woods by a large canine that actually looked almost exactly like the dog that Sirius Black turns into in Harry Potter. Only what I saw was about twice the size. Maybe 2.5 times the size. Not nearly as big as the wolves in twilight and much less furry. The animal was much smarter than any dog because it showed some real intelligence in some things it did. For example the lay of the land restricted movement to paths in certain directions by way of a combination of thick massive briar patches and straight up rock wall benches. When I first spotted the animal, it stepped out of the woods, over a little rise and into the path I was on. And we locked eyes. It's eyes did not "glow" or anything supernatural but the near full moon did, well it's eyes were very faintly reflecting yellow. Very dim, but I could definitely see its eyes from about 200 yards away. We locked eyes for maybe 5 seconds and I decided to make a run for the house, maybe 400 yards away uphill. As I bolted onto a path that lead askew from the large path we were both originally on. For the first 5 or so yards I could still see the animal. Then a massive briar path would block the view. Most "dogs" I believe would have ran to my point of path change and pursued me ,because line of sight would be lost, and the patch of briars was impenetrable. I watched it as I started up the path and it looked at me, looked up the hill, looked at me, and then did not follow me. It took up another path from its location that would intersect my new path up ahead of me. This show of reasoning truly terrified me. In places I could see it on its intersect path and I immediately changed course again and went in another direction to an uncles house and stayed there. I have never seen anything like that ever again but for the better part of a decade this sighting gave me horrific nightmares on a very regular basis. I'm sure some who read this will laugh and doubt. But I'd swear to it, it's the truth. I'm a Christian man and I still don't know if what I saw was a breathing creature or a demon. I feel like it had to be a real creature though because I feel running would not have saved me from some thing spiritual. Anyways, this IS a true story, believing it or not is your choice. As to the tracks at my farm, I have no idea what made them. I honestly hope I don't see what did. Ever.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 pm

Closest thing I've ever seen to what I saw then
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Shepard » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:13 pm

I believe you cause there's things in the woods that most folks will never see even if they walked there every day. You have to live in the woods or mountains to even come close to understanding what the whole conversation is about. I think you had a Puma or Mountain Loin experience. They used to say they don't exist in Pennsylvania but my brother watched one choke out a deer and it scared him badly to have this out in the yard of his house. They are the smartest hunters in the woods. Think of the best hunter - fisherman - trapper type person you know. These cats are smarter then a few of these guys put together. Thats why most people, even the most avid hikers - hunters and the average woodsman will never see one. Most of all -- if there's a Puma in the woods -- its watching you -- not the other way around.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/cougar.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I walk in the foot steps of Carlos Hathcock -- to my end.
Shepard

Kudos Given: 288 times
Kudos  Received: 261 times
Medals: 11
Master Builder Award (4) NRA Member (1) Dart Board Challenge (1)
Target Haller Author (1) 1000 Yard Shoot (1) Benefactor Award (1)
Video Award (1) Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks jerry. I know their are Cougars here. They have been seen for years. In fact one was hit last year by the large compressor station you passed on the way to my house. But the one reason I do not believe these are cougar tracks if from the reading I've done, claw marks are rarely seen in cougar and other cat tracks because the retract them while not in use. Claw marks were very visible in nearly every track we saw in this line of tracks.

Now what I saw as a teenager could have possibly been a cougar, but it looked very canine to me. Still, at 200 yards it could have been a cat and my mind said dog just because of the size of it
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:37 pm

I am sure what I saw then was not a domestic dog. I have almost never passed a strange dog at night did not bark like crazy. This animal made no barks, no growls, no noise of any kind. It was very quiet, made no unnecessary movements, much like a fox, coyote, wolf, puma, bobcat or any such other animal that you might see on the discovery channel stalking prey.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:52 pm

I can totally believe what you saw Jared, My dad was raised down in Louisiana and other parts of the south, him and his childhood friend both told me the same story but at different times without the other one being present.

My dad and his friend used to hunt and fish by paddling their canoe on the back waters and remote areas of Louisiana. According both of them they sighted black panthers on more than one occasion but they would usually leave. Their worst encounter happened around dusk on a part of the river that not well traveled. They were stalked by a very large black animal that followed them for miles along the river bank but always just out of sight, They could see and hear the bushes and undergrowth moving as they were traveling along the river. According to them what ever it was seemed to know exactly where it was going and was waiting for them to get to that spot. This shadowing went on for quite a while until the animal broke cover to climb a tree. According to both of them this was the biggest panther that they had ever seen. It was climbing a huge tree that hung out over the water. In fact it seemed to have been waiting until they got to a spot where it could drop down on them.

It might have too except my dad's buddy (we called him Dink, his real name was Tommy) had his old 30-40 Krag with him, he took pot shot at it that totally missed, it struck the tree close to the panther causing it to fall or jump into the water. He said bullets were to expensive to waist so they didn't take a second shot. They both said it swam to the shore crawled up the bank. "That critter was huge" were the words from both of them. It retreated back into the undergrowth. It had hunkered down like a cat does very close to the ground. They could see the gold reflections from it's eyes still glaring at them through the leaves, so they decided to turn back and make a beeline for a more open area. They said it was weird but they could almost feel that thing watching them as they were leaving. They never saw that panther again, I bet they never wanted to anyway.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 am

Very cool story Mark. I believe you. It's even better that the both told you the same story at different times with out the presence of the other. That says a lot to me.

Jerry is totally right when he says that people who don't live in the woods don't understand. True outdoorsman who are "in tune" with the outdoors will see things that "city folk" won't. I use those terms pretty loosely, but I grew up in the outdoors. My family was very poor when I was a child. We didn't have many toys, no cable tv, no video games. Everyday my brother and I got out of bed and went into the woods to play. We started hunting around 8. The outdoors are a part of us. I literally cannot count the number of times I have taken people who are part time outdoor enthusiast either hunting, fishing, or maybe just for a walk, or shed hunting, or something outdoors and it is plainly obvious how much they miss. Usually through me either pointing something out or later conversations when they say, well I didn't see that. It's hard to explain, but I can tell that you understand what I'm saying. I don't believe in any of the Hollywood monsters, werewolves and lizard men and garb like that, but I do know from my personal experiences that there ARE creatures out there that science dismisses.

One of my buddies from high school got really interested in the outdoors and tried hunting and fishing with me, :) he used to tell me "dude, you don't miss anything in the woods, you're like Daniel Boone or something" lol. Which interesting enough Daniel Boone claimed to have killed a 10' tall hairy beast in the Appalacian mountains one day that he called a yahoo( a creature from Guinivers travels). kinda like some people today saying they saw a "wookie" or "chewy" from star wars cross the road in front of them. Davy Crocket also claimed to have seen one at close range in Texas.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

PreviousNext

Return to Front Porch