It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:44 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Barrel Markings and what they mean

MO marks

Want to know what some of those barrel markings mean? Look Here!

MO marks

Postby elkhunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 pm

what does the mo stamp on my m38 mean ?
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
elkhunter
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 0 time
Kudos  Received: 0 time

Re: MO marks

Postby Marauder 1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 pm

MO usually means it was a Ministry Of Defense rifle, is it double dated?

Thanks
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 365 times
Kudos  Received: 342 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby elkhunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Well after looking for the date stamp...the MO mark seems to be missing ? I was also looking at a m44 when I bought this gun and one of them was stamped MO... must have been the m44... is a gun with the MO stamp good?
Lee
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
elkhunter
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi Lee:
OK first off the MO stamping stands for "Ministerstvo Oborony", The Defense Ministry was established on March 15th, 1953, This was the result of a merger of the Military and Naval Ministries. The markings are found on M91/30, M38, M44, and M91/59 Mosin Nagants. Are they worth more? to some. The fact that it is a M38 makes it worth more off the bat. The Mosin carbines are very collectable at the moment. The M59 is another awesome rifle. They were for a while the best kept secret in the Mosin Nagant community. Once word got out about them however they were snapped up by collectors just like the M38's. I don't believe I've ever seen a M38 MO stamped rifle. I had my eye on a triple stamped MO M91/30 at Cabella's in Idaho, but they would not sell it to me because I was a CA resident.

Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby elkhunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks Mark,
I almost bought the M44 but the m38 just looked and felt better
I always seem to buy with that mindset... was looking for a shorter gun for hunting and didn't like the bayonet on the m44
-- Thomas Jefferson
elkhunter
Range Master
Range Master

Postby elkhunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 am

FOUND THE MISSING MO MARK... ITS ON MY 91/30... DATED 1943/1954
CAN THAT BE RIGHT?
-- Thomas Jefferson
elkhunter
Range Master
Range Master

Postby Marauder 1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:33 am

yep that's perfect, 1953 would have been the first year. Nice find there buddy..
seeya
Mark
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Award (1)

Postby kjohn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:29 pm

I have a 91/30 stamped "MO". Dates are 1942r/48. Go figure.
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Random avatar
kjohn
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 5 times

Postby kjohn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:16 pm

I recall reading something about the double date matter, to effect that it hasn't been firmly established that the second date is necessarily always the date the rifle was transferred to the MO. It does sort of seem to apply to the one I have. There are also "triple date" MO's floating around.

Don't shoot the messenger! :angel:
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Random avatar
kjohn
Gunner
Gunner

Kudos Given: 1 time
Kudos  Received: 5 times

Return to Barrel Markings and what they mean