It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:06 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Long Range Shooters Discussion

My first spotting scope....on a budget

Mosin Long Range Shooting Discussion. F Class and other topics such as equipment and more.

My first spotting scope....on a budget

Postby ShootnMathews » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:34 pm

Well guys I've been on a quest for a spotting scope for several years now for both range work and spotting and field judging game at extended ranges. I searched and read reviews for months last year and set myself a max budget of $600 for this year and hoped to not spend all of it. What I came up with for the two highest rated in terms of customer reviews were the Alpen 20-60x80 $479 and the Celestron Regal M2 ED 80 $589. They both have really high reviews with many comparing them to the $1200 range of scopes. BUT, as life has a way of doing my budget has been smashed. I still wanted a scope for this season so I went back to reviews and came up with the Konus 20-60x80 $200 on sale right now, and the Celestron Ultima 80 $169. They both have really high reviews also with many reviewers comparing them to the $600-$800 scopes. I would have went with the Konus except it only has a 2 year warranty and several people complained of the foot breaking. The Celestron has a lifetime warranty and the biggest complaint was a very slightly gritty zoom and less eye relief than the Konus. The foot breaking on the Konus and the no questions lifetime warranty on the Celestron kind of made the decision for me. Soooo, my Celestron Ultima 80 should arrive tomorrow. I know there are a lot of us out there who can't afford the Swarovski and Zeiss scopes so I plan on doing a fairly thorough review on the functionality of this scope for my two primary jobs for it. If I have time I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 363 times
Kudos  Received: 273 times
Medals: 5
Custom Builders Guild (1) NRA Member (1) Winner Haller Shoot (1)
Mosin Nagant Channel Videograp (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Re: My first spotting scope....on a budget

Postby Marauder 1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:09 am

Post photos, I have a couple different spotting scopes none are what one would call outstanding. Thanks for the info.
Seeya
Mark
“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Marauder 1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kudos Given: 368 times
Kudos  Received: 347 times
Medals: 4
StraightJacket Owners (1) NRA Member (1) Finnish Variant (1)
Video Award (1)

Postby ShootnMathews » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:40 am

Well I just unboxed her and took a quick peek around. It's certainly not a $1000 scope but it will work for now I believe.

Celestron Ultimate 80 $169 free shipping.

I took some picture with my phone but they won't post, they are too big. I'll have to edit them at home later
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:05 am

Finally got some time to reduce the pictures. I took these pictures in the middle of the day, about 2 pm. It was bluebird skies and 90 degrees so there were a lot of heat waves and distortion. In the 546 yard picture area I could see acorns on the trees in the clear moments between the waves
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:10 am

Here is the last picture. I took this picture in the evening after the sun dropped behind the mountain. With no heat waves the image was very clear and stable and I could see acorns on that oak tree at 750+ yards. I didn't have my rangefinder but it was significantly farther than the previous pic at 546 yards
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Postby ShootnMathews » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:06 am

A little update. I finally got a chance to range the tree in the last photo I posted. The tree is 780 yards.

I was using my spotting scope last week to look a few mountains over. This was in the evening after the heat waves had died down. On the side of that mountain ridge I could see well enough to make out the smallest twigs of the trees and make out leaves well enough to differentiate species. My 800 yard rangefinder would not pick up anything over there so I was sure it was past 800. Recently I found an app that measures distance on Google earth type photo maps. According to that the trees I was looking at through my scope were 1,150 yards away. A Swarovski this scope is not, but the more I use it the more pleased I am with it. I feel confident that it will perform well at filling my needs. I really believe I will be able to field judge bucks to at least 1000 yards which is as far as I'd be shooting at one anyways.

Jared
ShootnMathews
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Long Range Shooters Discussion