It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 pm
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

honing a Mosin chamber

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

Re: honing a Mosin chamber

Postby rjmt » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Grindl,
glad it worked out for you
this hone has solved sticky chamber on all my Mosins.
wish I had known about this years ago
rjmt
Random avatar
rjmt
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 38 times
Medals: 2
Nice Build Award (1) Finnish Variant (1)

Re: honing a Mosin chamber

Postby Grindl » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Just a short follow-up , as promised . I used the hone on my F-Class rifle last year and it did the job needed . But throughout the summer , as temperatures went up here in the desert , I was still getting occasional sticking brass . Because this chamber was cut with a one of a kind reamer , I did not want to get it over-sized and ruin it . The solution was to make a "lap" from a steel M-N case . Mix up a small amount of red jewelers rouge , with a couple drops of olive oil into a fine slurry , and place it on the "lap" . Insert into the chamber till the case rim seats , and rotate by hand . Withdraw the lap , and put a drop of olive oil on . smooth it out , and re-insert into the chamber . Rotate ... When it's "right" , you'll know by feel , and with the lapping process you can't go to far .
The hone worked exactly as stated , but a hone can be pretty aggressive , where as lapping is a more passive way to smooth things out after using a hone . Use some olive oil on a mop to first clean the chamber , then do a normal chamber cleaning with the product you usually use . Might want to dry patch the barrel at least once to get out and "slurry" that gets into your leade , too . :thumbup:
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 198 times
Kudos  Received: 143 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Previous

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum