It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:07 am
Change font size
Southern California Mosin Owners The Forum For Mosin Nagant Enthusiasts Worldwide!

Mosin Nagant Modders Forum

New builds

Modders forum, tips, tricks and more..

New builds

Postby Deathsythe311 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:26 am

Well I haven’t posted much in awhile. Kinda got frustrated when 0933 took off with my parts for my uk59 build. Saved up some money to do the build again this time using grimstod to do the work. Have three builds underway, one almost done, another getting close and the last needs a barrel. One is a crook chassis mosin with a 6.5 BR lapua barrel that grim build which is pretty much done. The next I got from farmboy a m28/76 with a 308 bore barrel that’s waiting to be put into my McMillan A5 stock I picked up last month. Last is a m28/30 build I started. It started off with a brand new m28/30 stock I picked up a year ago and over the course of 6-10 months I found the hardware for the stock, picked up an 1893 French receiver that grimstod blue printed for me. That build is just waiting for a McGowens m39 profile barrel to top it off. I wanted it to be a white death recreation.

Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 3 times
Kudos  Received: 40 times
Medals: 1
Nice Build Award (1)

Re: New builds

Postby Grindl » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:42 am

Love that A-5 stock . Got to shoot a 284 mounted in a A-5 , and it was sweet . :thumbup: Don't know which of your builds is in need of a barrel , or the type of rifle you're building , but I can recommend the Kreiger 5r , or the Brux ( 4 lands / grooves )in a heavy Varmint profile . My M-N Target unit has the Kreiger 5r , and the only mistake I made was not getting it in 30" finish length . 26" is viable for 6-700 yrds of very good accuracy , but beyond that I'd recommend 28" or 30" . The 5r is easy to break-in and very easy to keep clean . I spend twice as much time insuring the chamber neck and throat are clean , than I do the actual barrel . Good to hear you're back at it . Three builds at once ? How do you keep it all straight ? Just loading for two different rifles has me talking to myself . LOL .

It's been my experience that Grim does very nice work , especially re-bushing the bolt , and turn-down on the firing pin . He's got that figured out . If anyone is having any issues with light strikes , mis-fires , or dead-fires , get in contact with Grim .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 198 times
Kudos  Received: 143 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:39 pm

The barrel on my 6.5 is a bartlien 5R barrel at 26 inches. I would like to do F class someday but I have so much to learn still. It’s a barrel or two away before I get there. I’m all up for a shoot with you Gene. Once I get it back your welcome to test out this new round with me.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Nice Build Award (1)

Postby Grindl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:14 am

Thank you for the offer . I'll happily take you up on it . I'm shooting a 600 yard practice day at the Berger Range on Friday and you're welcome to join me . 7:00 a.m. in the pits . Bring a 600 yard rifle , no Brakes , or Flash Suppressors ( NRA F-class rules ) Silencers are okay , and we'll punch some holes . Any good 6-24x50 scope is more than enough for 600 . I've got Strelok Pro on my phone , and if you have a "known" zero , we'll put ya in the black in a couple of shots . Any good 26" barrel is workable at 600 , but not quite enough for a 1,000 . You have to push the load to hard , and end up burning up the barrel .

One of David Fair's guys back east is doin a 6.5 Mosin for PRS , and I've been trying to help him out with some basic load data , and some reloading procedures I've learned , from people who know how to do it right ..... I've learned that the more you think you know about reloading , the more you DON'T know , about reloading . I've been really fortunate , having the opportunity shooting at B-A with some of the best on the planet , and these guys will answer any question you have . Makes it a lot easier .
If not me.....Who ?
If not now ....When ?
Random avatar
Grindl
Range Master
Range Master

Kudos Given: 198 times
Kudos  Received: 143 times
Medals: 2
NRA Member (1) Mosin Hunters (1)

Postby Deathsythe311 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 pm

I live 2 hours from BA. I hit you up in the spring once I’m all moved into my house and I’ve broken my barrel in.
Random avatar
Deathsythe311
Range Master
Range Master

Nice Build Award (1)

Return to Mosin Nagant Modders Forum